Secrets from my Kitchen: Baker reveals the secrets behind Pat's yummy carrot cake
In the second of our Secrets from my Kitchen offerings, charity baker David Brown shares one of his late wife’s favourite recipes - Yummy Scrummy Carrot Cake.
Together David and Pat have raised tens of thousands of pounds for Help for Heroes through selling their popular cakes and chutneys.
He said: “This carrot cake recipe is from one of Pat’s handwritten books, where she got it from I don’t know, but it is quite possible she adapted it.
“I feel very proud to make it and feel so close to her when I do. I can see her looking over my shoulder saying you haven’t got that right or you need to put this in.
“I hope you all enjoy it.”
6oz Light Muscovado Sugar
6oz self raising flour
6floz sunflower oil
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 large eggs lightly beaten
1tsp ground cinnamon
5oz grated carrot
1/2tsp grated nutmeg
Grated zest of one large orange
For the frosting
6oz icing sugar
1 1/2 / 2tbsp orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4/fan 160c.
2. Oil and line the base and sides of 18cm square tin with baking parchment.
3. Tip sugar into a large mixing bowl, pour in the oil and add the eggs. Lightly mix with a wooden spoon.
4. Stir in the carrots, raisins and orange zest.
5. Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and spices, then sift into the bowl and lightly mix all ingredients.
6. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
7. Cool in the tin for five minutes, then turn it out, peel off the paper and cool on a wire rack. (It can be frozen at this point if needed.)
8. Beat together the frosting in a bowl until smooth and as runny as single cream. Drizzle over the cake in diagonal lines and leave to set.
Have you got a recipe you would like to see featured on Enjoy Beccles More? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or post it on our Facebook page.